Any information obtained regarding the disability of a student or employee must be kept confidential and shared only on a strict need-to-know basis.


When an employee contacts a manager or supervisor to request a job modification or accommodation, typically, the unit should contact Equal Opportunity and Access (EOA) to discuss. If the manager or supervisor is unsure whether to provide a reasonable accommodation based on the initial request, EOA must be contacted. Only EOA, through the formal interactive accommodation process with the employee and the department, can gather disability documentation to assess whether to approve or deny a request for a reasonable accommodation. EOA first determines whether the employee has a qualifying disability; if so, EOA facilitates the interactive process between the employee and the department to ascertain whether or not a reasonable accommodation can be made.

At times, there is no need for an official accommodation request process through EOA if the manager or supervisor will provide the accommodation without requiring further disability disclosure (such as medical documentation or medical-specific conversations) as a standard business practice. Some examples include but are not limited to:

  • An employee has a back injury and requests a sit-stand desk. If the unit provides some sort of office furniture upgrades on a routine basis, consider providing this request as a standard business practice where employees would not otherwise need to disclose a disability in order to receive the benefit of a customized work environment.
  • An employee requests a telecommuting agreement. If the unit would provide telecommuting agreements to all similarly situated employees, there is no need to require the employee to disclose a disability. This benefit can be provided as a standard business practice.
  • An employee needs to attend physical therapy appointments once a week that will require a shift in work schedule. If the unit has a culture of providing flexible work schedules, consider providing the accommodation as a standard business practice.

Job Applicants

If a job applicant contacts a hiring unit to request a reasonable accommodation for a disability, the hiring unit should work directly with the job applicant to address the request.  If the hiring unit has questions about the requested accommodation, the unit should contact EOA for assistance. A hiring unit must consult with EOA before rejecting an applicant with a disability based on concerns that a requested accommodation would present an undue hardship or require a fundamental alteration of the job.  Contact: Office of Equal Opportunity and Access (541-737-3556).


Faculty members and department staff should work with Disability Access Services (DAS) to accommodate the needs of students with disabilities. Visit the Disability Access Services  website for information about making your classes and materials accessible to students.

Visitors and Community Members

University services, programs, and activities must be accessible to individuals with disabilities which may include customers, clients, and members of the broader university community. Individual units are responsible for ensuring that their programs, services, and activities are accessible, and have responsibility to work directly with the individuals engaging their programs.

EOA and DAS can provide consultation as needed in determining how to provide accommodations. Units seeking sign language interpreters, transcribers/CART, accessible media (closed captioning), and assisted listening devices should contact DAS. If an administrative unit, department, or college is unable to fund the necessary accommodations, a request may be forwarded to EOA to secure funding. A department must consult with EOA before rejecting a reasonable accommodation request, as only EOA can assess whether to deny a request.

Learn more about accessible event planning and advertising to ensure access for the campus community and visitors.

Submit a Request for Accommodations